For Chocolate Lovers! – Mini Chocolate Lava Cakes
Since summer started, I’ve been itching to start baking in my kitchen again. Finals had finally ended and I was finally bake in my kitchen with my lovely pans, cooking utensils, and baking ingredients so I it was hard to resist baking as soon as I got back home everyday. I ended up baking these lovely mini chocolate lava cakes for work and to devour with my co-workers. I’ve never tried this type of recipe before so I was extremely excited and looking forward to how it would turn out.
The mini lava cakes were absolutely divine! The dark chocolate flavour was perfect! I can’t wait to make this again! They were easy and fast to make and very versatile. I left them in the fridge for a day prior to baking and they could even be left out for a while to sit at room temperature! If you’re looking for a nice chocolate treat, try this recipe! I promise it won’t disappoint!
Mini Chocolate Lava Cakes
Recipe was adapted from Brown Eyed Baker and yields four cakes
You will need 4 small ramekins for this recipe (4 ounce ramekins)
- 8 Tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick) and a bit more for the molds
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour and a bit more for the molds
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate (I used Bakers’ chocolate)
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- ¼ cup sugar
- Lightly butter the four ramekins and dust with flour. Set aside
- In a medium sized microwavable bowl, put in your bittersweet baking chocolates along with the butter. I microwaved it in 1 minute intervals for a total of 2 minutes. Gently stir the mixture together so it blends well and set aside to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, take out two small bowls. Separate the yolk from the whites. Crack two more eggs into the mixture of just yolks. (You can preserve the whites for another recipe -especially if you plan on making souffles)
- Put the eggs and sugar into a large bowl and beat them until it turns a very pale yellow colour.
- Take your chocolate and butter mixture (which should now be relatively cool) and pour it into your egg and sugar mixture. Again, beat the mixture until it looks smooth.
- Quickly add in your flour into the mixture and mix until it is just incorporated in.
- Divide the mixture into your four ramekins. Be careful not to leave the mixture stuck out on the rim!
- Push into the oven and let them bake for 6-7 minutes. Take them out and invert them onto a plate. Wait 10 minutes and remove the molds. Voila!
- For garnishing, you can choose to just dust some icing sugar on top lightly or to use strawberries (I fanned them). If you want to look up how to fan strawberries, try http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mma4wgX22wg
There you have it! A delicious mini chocolate lava cake perfect for any occassion!